Hey everybody! Yesterday Kat received an email that our campsite reservation had been cancelled and that our money was being refunded. This was devastating. We did not want to cancel Queer Camp Out! We sprung to action to figure out what the hell had happened and figure out a plan B. We later found out that there is a small fire 4 miles up the road and that our original location is now basecamp for the firefighters for the next two weeks.
It was a rough night. We looked at all the public group campsites in New Mexico and found out that they had all been booked in advance. We found a few private campsites that lacked toilets and considered them, but we didn’t have time to ensure their safety for our people.
Matie and Jess drove up to Paliza this morning. After a lot of communication, charm, persistence, and support from our favorite camp-host, we have worked out a solution. The campground up the road is a first come, first served site that does not usually allow private camping – but they have kindly agreed to reserve the north loop of the campsite for us to hold a private event. This is the best possible outcome we could hope for.
- Queer Camp Out is being moved to the Northern Loop of the Paliza Family Campground.
- We will have less space than we planned but it will be all ours.
- We imagine the northern loop will feel more like festival-camping with tents closer together.
- If you are parking your car in the North Loop you do not have to pay the campground for your car. If you want more privacy, quieter camping, or need a generator please camp in any open spot in general camping (south loop and mid site). The cost for any camping in any spot not in the North Loop is $8 per vehicle per night. If you are able to chip in for the cost of the North Loop rental please give cash to Kat (unless you pre-paid). If you can’t pay please come anyway and stay in the North Loop.
- The North Loop has a gate which will be marked with a sign for Queer Camp Out. You can drive up to the gate and come inside; it will be unlocked but appear closed. Park off on the shoulder of the road so other vehicles can get by. We can camp anywhere we want to within the loop that doesn’t disturb a baby ponderosa pine tree. There are also spots on the ridge behind the site and back in the woods.
- There is space for a community area but it lacks chairs, shade, and enough tables for us to spread out. Would you be able to bring some chairs, pop-ups, or tables?
- All people must remain clothed during the event. We were able to find spaces that are suitable for workshop activities, but presently there is nowhere private enough for a dedicated kink space. The North Loop is not completely out of the view of the road, and while this space is reserved for us it is possible that people might walk through the campground or hikers could come through while walking on the ridgeline.
- Quiet hours at the campground are 10pm-6am. We are somewhat removed from general camping but we will need to be quieter than we have been in the past late at night.
This event is being made possible through the spirit of compromise and flexibility. We acknowledge that this alternate venue is not completely ideal, and we would love to offer campers more room with more privacy, but this is the very best outcome we were able to negotiate in this last minute crisis. Since the alternative was cancelling it altogether, we ask for your help in making this gathering the best it can be!
We’ll be posting some updates on expectations and values later tonight!