Registration is now open for Queer Campout in August. We’ll be camping from Friday the 13th to Monday the 16th. You’re welcome to camp for just one night or the entire weekend, or just stop by for a day visit. Check out our FAQ page for details. Registration will close on August 1st. To receive the link to the registration page, please email us at QueerCampoutNM@gmail.com or send us a message via our contact form.
Over the next few weeks, we will be updating our website with information about the event we have planned for this year. Subscribe to our email list if you want to receive the news in your inbox!
After careful consideration, and in light of the ongoing COVID-19 developments, we are postponing Queer Campout to 2021.
We remain excited to host you next year and will get back to you with more information. Receiving announcements by email is the best way to stay in the loop. Click here to subscribe to our mailing list.
We look forward to camping with you next year. Until then, stay safe and healthy!
Planning Meeting for the August 2020 Queer Campout! Want to help make this awesome event happen? If you’d like to be involved in any part of organizing, this meeting is the place to come do that. Come talk about it!
When: July 12, 2020 12:00 PM Mountain Time (US and Canada)
Register in advance for this meeting:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Hey everybody! Yesterday Kat received an email that our campsite reservation had been cancelled and that our money was being refunded. This was devastating. We did not want to cancel Queer Camp Out! We sprung to action to figure out what the hell had happened and figure out a plan B. We later found out that there is a small fire 4 miles up the road and that our original location is now basecamp for the firefighters for the next two weeks.
It was a rough night. We looked at all the public group campsites in New Mexico and found out that they had all been booked in advance. We found a few private campsites that lacked toilets and considered them, but we didn’t have time to ensure their safety for our people.
Matie and Jess drove up to Paliza this morning. After a lot of communication, charm, persistence, and support from our favorite camp-host, we have worked out a solution. The campground up the road is a first come, first served site that does not usually allow private camping – but they have kindly agreed to reserve the north loop of the campsite for us to hold a private event. This is the best possible outcome we could hope for.
- Queer Camp Out is being moved to the Northern Loop of the Paliza Family Campground.
- We will have less space than we planned but it will be all ours.
- We imagine the northern loop will feel more like festival-camping with tents closer together.
- If you are parking your car in the North Loop you do not have to pay the campground for your car. If you want more privacy, quieter camping, or need a generator please camp in any open spot in general camping (south loop and mid site). The cost for any camping in any spot not in the North Loop is $8 per vehicle per night. If you are able to chip in for the cost of the North Loop rental please give cash to Kat (unless you pre-paid). If you can’t pay please come anyway and stay in the North Loop.
- The North Loop has a gate which will be marked with a sign for Queer Camp Out. You can drive up to the gate and come inside; it will be unlocked but appear closed. Park off on the shoulder of the road so other vehicles can get by. We can camp anywhere we want to within the loop that doesn’t disturb a baby ponderosa pine tree. There are also spots on the ridge behind the site and back in the woods.
- There is space for a community area but it lacks chairs, shade, and enough tables for us to spread out. Would you be able to bring some chairs, pop-ups, or tables?
- All people must remain clothed during the event. We were able to find spaces that are suitable for workshop activities, but presently there is nowhere private enough for a dedicated kink space. The North Loop is not completely out of the view of the road, and while this space is reserved for us it is possible that people might walk through the campground or hikers could come through while walking on the ridgeline.
- Quiet hours at the campground are 10pm-6am. We are somewhat removed from general camping but we will need to be quieter than we have been in the past late at night.
This event is being made possible through the spirit of compromise and flexibility. We acknowledge that this alternate venue is not completely ideal, and we would love to offer campers more room with more privacy, but this is the very best outcome we were able to negotiate in this last minute crisis. Since the alternative was cancelling it altogether, we ask for your help in making this gathering the best it can be!
We’ll be posting some updates on expectations and values later tonight!
Greetings all, leading up to the next Queer Campout, I’d like to call a conversation to figure out how we can better open the space for a broader spectrum of our queer and trans community. I have adored Queer campout. I’ve also found it to be extremely white and inaccessible for some of our siblings. I’m already in contact with a few folx and would like to hold a gathering in early July to discuss how we make the August Queer Campout more safe, welcoming and accessible for our larger community (QTBIPOC, non-English speakers, people with fewer economic means, those without camping supplies or transportation, people with differing abilities, elders & folx with kids, introverts, etc etc).
This discussion will center those folks who have not felt welcome or able to participate in Queer Campout.
If you’d like to participate in this discussion, please send me a personal message or an email at email@example.com including the best way to reach you, and general availability during the first week of July, and I’ll set up a doodle poll accordingly to determine the best place and time for us to meet. Or just send your thoughts if you’d rather not be in a group convo. Thank you!!
Disclaimer: I realize that as a white, US citizen, native English speaker, able-bodied, financially stable person who often presents more masculine, I hold a lot of privilege. I also want to push back against the notion that folx who are more marginalized in our society are responsible for teaching us (who have so much privilege) how to make spaces more welcoming (though when we are gifted this knowledge, it is a huge gift). In that spirit, I share this invitation to the conversation. If such a conversation is not your jam and you’d rather share comments for us to consider by email, I’m super happy to receive and share those. Also, if what you’d prefer to see (or what your friends would rather) is that we invest energy into some additional fundraising for a separate event that may be QTPOC Campout or Queer Campout for Deaf folx or Spanish speakers or whatever, I’m personally behind that. Basically, wanna figure out how to make what I’ve found to be a valuable experience something that embodies that for everyone who shows up.
Link to the doodle poll: https://doodle.com/poll/gef7igxht4q6g2qv
Saludos compas, antes de la próxima Queer Campout, me gustaría pedir una conversación para descubrir cómo podemos abrir mejor el espacio para un grupo más amplio de nuestra comunidad queer y trans. Me encanta el campamento queer. También he encontrado que es extremadamente blanco e inaccesible para algunxs hermanxs. Ya estoy en contacto con algunas personas y me gustaría organizar una reunión a los principios de julio para hablar sobre cómo hacer que el Queer Campout en agosto sea más seguro, hospitalario y accesible para nuestra comunidad más grande (QTBIPOC/personas de color, personas que no hablan inglés, personas con menos medios económicos, aquellos sin artículos para acampar o transporte, personas con capacidades diferentes, mayores de edad y personas con niñxs, introvertidxs, etc., etc.). Si desea participar en esta discusión, envíeme un mensaje personal o un correo electrónico a firstname.lastname@example.org que incluya la mejor manera de comunicarse contigo y tu disponibilidad general durante la primera semana de julio–o tus comentarios si no quieres estar en grupo grande. Mandaré una encuesta para determinar el mejor lugar y hora para que nos reunamos. Gracias!!
Planning Meeting for the May Queer Campout! Want to help make this awesome event happen? If you’d like to be involved in any part of organizing, this meeting is the place to come do that. Want to make an opening ceremony, lead a hike, organize some games? Got something special you want to bring or would like to see? Come talk about it!
Potluck & great company! (please label your ingredients for food sensitive folks!)
Thursday, May 9th
Self Serve’s awesome new classroom space!
112 Morningside NE
no need to RSVP, just show up!
Logo by Bridge, at Queer Camp, May 2018